Thursday, February 02, 2006

Reconnaissance

In a true act of bravery my wife went to each of the clinics that the insurance said they might allows us to go to. She came home with a brochure, a business card, and her mind made up. The difference between the two really seems quite stark.

When she went to CHR she had a hard time finding it. I guess it is located in an office park and it seems that it is more like a business office than a medical one. Once she got there she went in and asked some questions. They gave her a business card and told her that they are only a satellite office there and they only do monitoring. Which basically means that if we wanted to use them for anything we would need to go to some other office in the city to get things started. They also only have one doctor in the area, which I suspect could lead to scheduling problems.

When she went to FCI she greeted right away and she said it seemed like they were bending over backwards to help her out. This place does everything at the same location with the exception of IVF if it comes to that, and that would only be up to two weeks working with another office and then coming back to that one. They also have a psychologist on staff and an affiliation with some yoga place. They gave her a multi page 'fancy' brochure. It has a lot of information in it, almost all of which is written for the woman, but it is still impressive compared to just a businesses card.

I don't think at this point its to awful hard to figure out which one she wants to go to. The general impression I have is that the one is very clinical and gets the job done where as the other tries to hold your hand and make you feel good. I am sure that both of them are equally effective at what they do, but if the destination is going to be the same why not enjoy the trip. I guess its time to call the referral ladies.

3 Comments:

Anonymous amanda said...

Best of luck deciding on a clinic. From personal experience I can tell you that going to a good RE at a good clinic does make a difference. Good luck to both you and your wife on your next steps.

12:14 PM, February 02, 2006  
Blogger PortLairge said...

Hi I found your blog over at A Dad Someday. I am (very) newly pregnant following my second IVF. Our problem was male factor. I will follow your story with interest. The best of luck to you and your wife. Amanda is right when she says that picking a good RE is crucial. It makes all the difference in the world.

9:08 PM, February 02, 2006  
Blogger DI_Dad said...

I also found your blog via A Dad Someday. Glad to see more MFI men bloggers out here. I'm a bit down the road after dealing with the issue for x years. I will follow along as well. If you ever have questions re DI feel free to ask but I hope it does not come to that.

10:17 PM, February 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home