Friday, February 03, 2006

Waiting for permission, not Godot

I called the referral ladies last night and told them we had picked a place. I was put on hold while she got my chart. I was a little surprised to hear margaritaville as the hold music, and I am not quite sure what to make out of it. Luckily she wasn't gone for the whole song.
Once she had my chart and came back to the phone she started with a long list of questions about my wife. I should have known that was coming. At least I knew everything that she asked about, in a general sense anyhow.

The hardest part was finding my wife in "the system". She kept her maiden name when we got married and this was the first time it has ever been anything close to an issue.
First the referral lady looked for my wife with my last name. Which of course didn't show any results. Then she looked for my wife by her maiden name, but "the system" said that the insurance had been terminated several years ago. Luckily it turned out that was when we got married and she was placed on my insurance. Finally the referral lady found my wife and discovered that "the system" truncated my wife's last name after the first 5 letters.

Then I told her about the tests the my wife had. The multiple blood tests and examinations and the HSG. Which I couldn't remember the name of but luckily the referral lady knew what I was talking about as I clumsily described it.

Then after going through every possible combination of my wife or I ever being involved in a pregnancy with each other or anyone else the referral lady said that it would probably take at least a week, and probably more, for everything to go through and be processed. Once she puts it all together they need to submit everything to the HMO and then they pass judgment on it (Why were we given a choice of clinics that the insurance would let us go to if they didn't cover it?).

2 Comments:

Blogger Thalia said...

I hope you don't have to wait too long for that referral to come through.

12:00 PM, February 05, 2006  
Blogger N said...

I myself am very much familiar with referral HELL as I call it. We were picked by our clinic (not the other way around), it's a good clinic and I am glad about it.

Good luck for you and hope you don't have to wait too long before you get more information.

9:25 AM, February 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home