Friday, March 17, 2006

Start with the least invasive...

I guess the only issue is how you define least. Yesterday we met with the reproductive endocrinologists. A very friendly and nice woman that seemed to be very sympathetic and understanding. She went over our medical histories with us focusing primarily on my wife. The RE said that she thought the my wife should start with a cycle on a round of clomid and move on from there. At least thats what I heard at first.

What she really meant was that she thought we should jump right into IUI. I was surprisingly disappointed when I understood what she was saying. I mean I know that there are some issues with my numbers and that we are there for some type of assistance so it doesn't make sense that I would be disappointed, does it? I guess I was hoping for one last chance of conceiving 'naturally' with just a little help (better living through chemistry). Maybe its something like, with each incremental step the hope of success fades a little. Running out of options and all that...

Now we need to have some more blood tests done. Make sure that neither of us has HIV or hepatitis, and check my wife for a couple other things too. Then we wait for the insurance and my wife's menstrual cycle get into sync. She takes clomid and some injectable medications and then we try a round of IUI.

If the IUI doesn't take we try it a couple more times and then... on to IVF. Maybe it wont come to that but I think I need to start preparing myself for that. I was disappointed when confronted with IUI, I don't really want to think about needing more than that.

On to the blood work I guess

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home