Friday, April 07, 2006

Refrigerate Upon Arrival

The fertility "cocktails" that my wife will be taking showed up. Fedex just dropped the box off by the door, and I thought for sure someone would need to sign for it.

I only looked through it all briefly. The box had one bottle of pills, and two injectable medications. My wife is absolutely 'thrilled' at the idea of having injections. Of course the word terrified should be used instead of thrilled... Although, it looks like they are only subcutaneous (if thats spelled right it is only because the spell checker caught it) so its not like we need to get them into the muscle or a vein or anything to complex. There is also a pen type device that looks like it takes all the guess work out of the injections, just like the lancet that a diabetic uses to check their glucose. The only problem is that she finds none of that reassuring at all.

We are supposed to go to the fertility doctor's office next week to learn how to do the injections, but I really don't see what we needed to be taught. I am probably being to blasé about it. Maybe this part is easier for me because I am not the one the is about to be turned into a walking chemistry experiment.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I am a huge needle phobe. HUGE!! I have to tell you that the subcutaneous injections really aren't bad. Once I am able to bring myself to insert the needle, the rest is easy. I am sure that your wife will be fine. I totally can identify how she feels though. I was so overwhelmed when my box came in the mail. Good luck at your injection class!

Have a great weekend!!

9:47 AM, April 08, 2006  
Blogger Just another Jenny said...

My hubbie is giving me the needles (just started on Friday) and it is no problem. We have the gonal pen too and they don't hurt at all. The needle is very sharp (which is good) so it just slides right in. Good luck!

8:13 AM, April 09, 2006  
Blogger N said...

Ok, I think you should do the needle class :-) Maybe you learn something that you didn't think of!

Good luck! I'll be starting the needle work myself this week!!!

/Nina

3:17 PM, April 09, 2006  
Anonymous amanda said...

The subqs really aren't bad. The pen makes them that much easier. You guys will be pros in no time. Good luck!

5:40 PM, April 09, 2006  
Blogger Tate said...

None of the injections are all that bad. Of course, I have enough skim to pinch, so that helps! I found that the needles hurt less than the serum going in. The hormones always burn a bit, and injecting them faster isn't an option. Also, I find the bruising that happens after the fact to be much more annoying than the actual shots.

The pen vs. the needle with a suringe: six of one and half a dozen of the other. The only advantage to the pen is that you don't have to mix your own. It comes prediluted, which is why it has to be refrigerated, and has a shorter shelf life.

Good luck!

8:41 AM, April 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home