Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sticking it to my wife

After several days of my wife taking clomid, today was the day we started the injections. We used Follistim with the pen. There was a lot of trepidation on both sides of the needle, although I do think most of it was on my wife's side. I know that if the roles were reversed I probably would have been freaking out like a little kid and like 100% more than she was. After all, she is the one that is having a needle jammed into her. Anyway, I think I was a little nervous because she was so nervous. Plus, I had all the misplaced feelings of failure welling up inside and that did not help at all.

After all that it really wasn't that big of deal at all. Piercing the skin took a little more force than I thought it would. Thankfully, once it started, it went all the way in without any problems. I then pushed the button down from the premeasured dose and I tried to wait for what I hope was five seconds. At least thats how long the instructions say to wait. I think I might have pulled it out a little to soon though because after the injection it seemed like a small amount of the fluid came out of the injection site. Next time I will try and wait a little longer.

My wife was pleasantly relieved once it was all over. I think her exact words were "is that it?". She said it was no big deal at all and that she might even be able to try it herself next time. I don't think that will happen, but it might. Maybe the fourth or fifth time she might want to start doing it. Regardless, I'll do it as long as she wants me to. At least I feel I am still part of the process.

For now the bottom line is that the pen thing really made it all pretty easy and with a little luck we wont need to use it all that much anyhow.
(Must.
Try.
To.
Stay.
Positive...)

4 Comments:

Blogger Just another Jenny said...

a tiny bit of fluid popped out just about everytime we did it. I wouldn't worry. Sounds like you did a great job!

p.s. - the stim needle is a little different, it doesn't go in as easy so give it a good strong poke.

3:21 PM, April 26, 2006  
Blogger Alli said...

my husband is a PA and i was still freaking out when he had to use the needle on me! I actually had a dream that it broke off in my hip the night before he did it - but your wife is right - it really isn't that bad and i think my response was exactly the same as hers - "Is that it?" I won't even pretend that i'll ever do it myself, though! lol.

11:18 AM, April 29, 2006  
Blogger Beagle said...

Visiting via jenny's blog . . . Good Luck to you both!

My hubby was a pro in no time. It gets easier with every stick.

7:52 AM, May 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you haven't posted because you've acceived a pregnancy!
God luck!

11:13 AM, May 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home