Saturday, May 27, 2006

Ultra Anxiety

Yesterday we went for the first ultrasound. Well, my wife had the ultrasound and I stood there and looked at the screen. It took all of about five minutes but it the technician was able to show us the a single gestational sac and the fact that it was well placed. I have to admit a little relief that we only have one. I am sure we would be overwhelmed if we had multiples, heck I am sure we will be in over our heads with one [but in a good way ;) ].

As wonderful as it was to see the
gestational sac it was a little disconcerting to not see anything else. We were apparently three days past five weeks and the nurse that scheduled the appoint thought we were a little further along than that (WHAT? - I'm sure mistakes are made but excuse me?). Since we were not further along there wasn't anything else to see. The technician said she could see the yolk but at this stage the embryo would be way to small to see.

We were reassured repeatedly that everything looked normal and good. We were just a few days to early to see anything. Of course I am now filled with this anxiety that something is wrong. I was up late scouring the internet and learning all about blighted ovums and different types of miscarriages and all kinds of panic inducing stuff.

Next week my wife goes back for another ultrasound. She will be over six weeks then and the people at the clinic along with everything I have read indicates that we will be able to see a heart beat. Until then I am going to try not to panic my wife and to keep my anxiety under control.

bizarre mixed emotions. Its taken us a little over two years to get to this point. It feels like it has been impossibly hard and yet incredibly easy at the same time. Especially since so many others have tried longer without the positive results that we have had. For now I'll try to stay positive and hope the my wife's test results does too.

1 Comments:

Blogger DI_Dad said...

Try to give your wife and yourself little breaks to ease the pressure. A handful of glowers perhaps a milkshake (if that is appealing) anything to just bring a smile when you can. If anything snuggling is good.

12:09 PM, May 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home